So I missed a business day of blogging. I wish I had a great excuse but I was trying to upload 100 photos to the site and it was taking too long, work is busy, we have family in town and um, I’m pregnant. The last one being a pretty good excuse for everything. So I’ve been told. I’ve also been told people only treat you special the first time around- and I can’t tell you how upsetting that is given that I have already wasted six months and not collected on this elusive promise. If Bryan is reading this: foot massage, a few home improvements and a new outfit please.
But anyway, for my transgressions…today two posts. Don’t die of happiness or anything.
It’s Oscar time. These used to be my Superbowl. And then The Bachelor came along with its Most Dramatic Final Rose Ceremony Ever. I mean, just thinking about it makes my breath stop a little.
But since Bryan and I actually made a concerted effort this year to see some of the nominated films (no small feat in a country where everything premieres 2 months after the States), I had a sneaking suspicion you were dying to know my thoughts. I would actually like to hear yours, but I have no Smirnoff left with which to bait your comments. YEAH I JUST AVOIDED ENDING ON A PREPOSITION, WHAT’S UP. Now, I have not seen all the films so my opinions below are incredibly objective and fair, natch.
Performance by an actor in a leading role
- Sean Penn in “Milk”: I mean, I really believed he was gay. But I also didn’t understand how any human being could casually let James Franco go. So maybe just for that, he shouldn’t win.
- Brad Pitt in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”: I don’t know… sorta creepy.
- Mickey Rourke in “The Wrestler”: I didn’t want to get into the hype. But. He deserves The Oscar. And also I remember seeing Wild Orchid years ago and geez that film is my Judy Blume Forever, you know what I mean.
Performance by an actor in a supporting role
- Josh Brolin in “Milk”: Totally good. I bought it. I kind of love this guy. And he loves Diane Lane. And how can you not. And also, how weird is it if Barbra Streisand becomes your stepmom.
- Robert Downey Jr. in “Tropic Thunder”: Overrated movie and I couldn’t understand a word he was saying. But Tom Cruise in the final credits is GENIUS. I just got over the Scientology thing.
- Heath Ledger in “The Dark Knight”: The mouth-licking tic was good. I’ll admit.
- Michael Shannon in “Revolutionary Road”: Scary and good. Maybe too yelly. But let’s talk about Kathy Bates’ bit ‘o crazy!
Performance by an actress in a leading role
- Anne Hathaway in “Rachel Getting Married”: Why not.
- Angelina Jolie in “Changeling”: The deep color of her lipstick distracted me the entire movie.
- Kate Winslet in “The Reader”: Maybe this is unfair but Kate Winslet is so good at every part that it doesn’t seem exciting for her to win. And I liked her dress so much at the Golden Globes. I am worried she will let me down now.
Performance by an actress in a supporting role
- Taraji P. Henson in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”: Where did this lady come from?? I loved her performance.
- Marisa Tomei in “The Wrestler”: Why do women older than me have to have much better bodies than me?
Achievement in directing
As if I am qualified to analyze what a Director does. I am too busy being a famous actress.
Best motion picture of the year
- “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”: Stole from a book.
- “Milk”: How can you let James Franco go?
- “The Reader”: Germans are scary. And Valkyrie sucked and somebody has to take the fall.
- “Slumdog Millionaire”: Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.
And I like that “Australia” got the same number of nominations as “Kung Fu Panda”.